Solid Glass Beads
Engineered Glass Materials (EGM) business works closely with customers to provide value-added performance additives that uniquely improve customer formulations by lowering cost and increasing performance.
Our microspheres serve as functional additives in industrial applications such as weight-reducing fillers in plastics, polymers, and automotive body putties, as extenders in adhesives and paints/coating formulations, sensitizers in industrial explosives, electromagnetic shielding for electronic parts, and abrasive applications for cleaning and peening metal surfaces.
Delivering Technical and Economic Advantages
Technical and economic advantages can result from the inclusion of SPHERIGLASS® solid glass spheres as a performance additive for thermoplastic and thermosetting resin systems. Their multiple benefits include enhanced processing and reduced manufacturing costs.
Glass spheres are smooth, hard, offer excellent chemical resistance and low oil absorption. These and other characteristics enable the spheres to be used in a wide range of applications in the transportation, automotive, chemical, electronic, industrial, and engineering industries, where they can substantially reduce reject rates in production.
- Improve flow properties
- High resin displacement
- Low shrinkage and warpage
- Better molded parts
- Improve surface hardness, toughness and durability
- Improve abrasion/ scratch resistance
- High flexural modulus
- Better stress distribution
- Excellent chemical resistance
Specialized glass beads specifically designed for controlling bond line thickness in adhesive bonding
- These beads are manufactured and certified to meet the specification requirements of Raytheon HMS20-1776 and Boeing SCGMS-53004
- Variety of particle sizes to meet specific functional and end-use application requirements
- Utilized in Automotive, Aerospace, Chemical and Electronics applications.
For Use in Air-Fluidized Support Systems Treating Burns, Grafts and Pressure Sores
- Air-fluidization technology uses microspheres to achieves fluid properties in a completely dry medium
- Microspheres increase the density of the artificial fluid, for more stable support with less pressure on patient wounds
- Particulate filtering effect reduces airborne contamination while trapping body fluids for removal
TECHNICAL QUALITY GLASS MATERIALS
- Economical, multi-use media for grinding other particulate materials
- Effectively deagglomerates, for improved particle dispersion within resin, solvent or other suspensions
- Chemically-inert media ideal for delaminating minerals from lode-bearing rock
- No ferrous or other residues contaminate plate-metal surfaces
- Safe – Amorphous, no crystalline silica
- Particle – tight particle size doesn’t affect the finish
- Hard – 6 on the Mohs scale, makes coatings tough
- Engineered – Designed particle size distribution, lot-to-lot consistency
- Round – True spheres, “ball bearing” effect
- Environmental – Glass is GRAS and inert
- Smooth – Low surface area per unit volume, not a resin “hog”